Moving can be as exciting as it can be stressful. A new beginning awaits you, but you need to deal with the process of moving and managing your budget. For this reason, it is best to plan for your move in advance. Luckily, there are some things that you can do to save money when moving, so keep reading!
Downsize your possessions
Before you start packing your belongings, you should consider if there is anything you can give away, sell or donate to a charity. You are always trying to find a way to save money when moving to a new home. It is best to check which things you might not need anymore and make sure you find them. After that, you can decide what to do with them.
Whether you are moving to a new place on your own or you are planning on hiring a moving company, downsizing is a must. If you are hiring a moving company, you will be charged either by the hour or by the weight of your belongings. This means that the more items you have, the more it will cost you to move them to a new place. More belongings can mean you will need the rental truck or rental container for longer and that will cost more on a moving day.
Knowing how to save money can make your move less stressful and with less moving costs.
The idea of downsizing is appealing, and you should start with this process months before the move. This will not only save you money moving during your move, but you could even earn a bit by selling some of the stuff you don’t need. Another positive aspect is that this step can show you that you don’t need so many things and you can start your journey to becoming a minimalist.
Figure out what you can do yourself to save money when moving
When moving you have to consider specific factors such as:
- How much time you have
- How much energy you have
- How many things you need to move
- How far away are you moving
- What your budget for the move is
- Whether you can get any help
- Whether you are moving alone or with your family
- How you could save money when moving
Your toughest job will be to master your budget and the things that you are willing to do and are capable of doing by yourself. Doing some tasks on your own can really save you money. For example, you can pack your belongings and move some of the smaller stuff by yourself.
If you handle the dismantling and re-assembly of your items, you can also save some money. Furthermore, you can ask your friends or neighbors for a helping hand like giving you cardboard boxes or similar. If a friend has a truck or if they are fit to carry moving boxes, don’t hesitate to get them involved. It’s some kind of free moving assistance.
Rent a moving truck
If you decide to move by yourself, you should consider renting a moving truck to move your items. You might not want to pay for a moving service but have more things than can fit in your vehicle. Renting a moving truck can be the solution. The cost of renting a moving truck is lower than that of hiring a full moving service.
Rent a moving container
A moving container is a good low-cost option that you need to consider. A company will park a large container where it is convenient for you and you can fill it at your own pace. When you are finished loading your belongings in the container, contact the rental company and they will move the container to your new home. When you are finished unloading your items, the company will collect the empty container.
Hiring a full-service moving company can be very expensive, so you should consider making a hybrid move. You can hire movers for a portion of the job. The moving company could do only those things which you cannot or are not willing to do yourself.
If you have a lot of books, you should consider sending them via Media Mail through the U.S. Postal Service. Books are among the heaviest things to move and this could save you some money and save space on the moving truck. You can ship up to 70 pounds for less than $40 this way. You should always think of simple ways to save money.
Because movers charge by the hour or by the weight of the things they need to carry, you should do everything you can by yourself to transfer to your new home. Be organized and stay out of the way so that the movers can work quickly and efficiently.
Compare different moving companies
You should always compare several moving companies to find the best rates and best reviews. Verified Movers can provide you with a detailed analysis of the professional movers you are thinking of hiring. Sometimes you can find a good deal if a company is looking to attract customers. The cost of a move may be your first concern but you should make sure that you find the best company to take care of your belongings and move the carefully to your home.
Pick the right time to move
You should plan your move carefully. Moving companies usually charge higher rates in summer than they do in winter, there is no such thing called as free moving. Also, the busiest time is on weekends and at the beginning and end of each month. Planning your move for the period between October and April can help you save money. Call the moving companies and get quotes for different days in the month you chose.
There is a possibility that you will have to buy some supplies, but here are some tips which could help you save money:
- Take free newspapers which can be used as a no-cost packing material and use bubble wrap.
- Bring empty moving boxes from your workplace.
- Ask friends that moved recently for boxes or ask on social networks.
- Check around your neighborhood on garbage or recycling day, maybe someone just moved in.
- Try asking in a local liquor store for boxes, they are strong enough to hold glass bottles and have special dividers that make packing glasses, mugs, and bottles of liquor easier.
- After using the boxes you can try to sell them to companies that need them.
- You can rent boxes from a service like The Box Buddies.
- Use napkins, bedsheets and other soft materials that you have for packing. Remember that you need to wash them afterward, so you need to factor in the cost of running the washer against the cost of buying packing material.
- You can ask for boxes in bookstores, they are good for packing heavy items.
- Load up your baskets, suitcases, laundry hampers and coolers with your other belongings.
- Wrap your hanging clothes with trash bags. You can leave the hanger sticking out at the top of the bag and you can hang them back up once you move in.
- Ask for boxes at a lab or hospital because they get chemicals boxed in thicker and more durable boxes.